Speaking from a logistical point of view, medicines and prescription drugs are not similar to other general items such as books or electronics. In very short terms, it is illegal to import drugs from India to the USA or Canada. The major reason behind this is that a majority of drugs sold in India are not approved by the FDA in the USA or Health Canada, FDA’s counterpart in Canada.
However, there are some exceptions and therefore, countries have guidelines that are in place since the medical domain may present some scenarios where it becomes crucial to ship such drugs.
Shipping prescription drugs and medicines from India to North America is doable if the rules are strictly followed.
Exceptions surrounding shipment of drugs from India
Prescription drugs and medicines are not shipped normally via popular delivery channels such as DHL, FedEx, and speed post. The USA Customs and the Canadian Customs allow shipment of prescription drugs into their respective countries under the following circumstances:
- If the medicine is meant to treat a disease for which there are no alternatives in the destination country. The illness or diseases needs to be a serious one that requires immediate attention.
- The medicines that are shipped to the USA or Canada must not be sold to or promoted amongst the locals of the two countries. The prescription drugs are meant solely for the patient who has travelled to these countries and needs the drugs.
- The drugs must not be harmful to the individual consuming them or must not be taken as an intoxicant for recreational use.
- The two countries also demand a formal document that states and clarifies that the medicines are intended only for personal use.
- Another document must be addressed to the Customs of the respective countries stating that the drugs are meant solely for treatment purposes and will not be used for commercial purposes nor for recreation.
- The amount of drugs must be meant for not more than three months.
It is also possible to send prescription medicines and drugs to the two countries through friends and family that are travelling to the aforementioned countries. However, all the guidelines and boundations apply in this case as well. Visiting people cannot carry prescription drugs for commercial use and the nature of the medicines must be mentioned in the Customs’ forms. Also, the quantity of the drugs are restricted.
International courier services such as UBT International can also help you send prescription drugs to the USA or Canada without violating any laws.
You can contact the support staff at UBT International at firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text them on +91-9650754902.
A series of documents are required if you are sending medicines to the USA or Canada. The complete of list of documents are:
- Aadhar card of the recipient and the patient who is in the destination country and requires the medicines.
- The original copy of the prescription written by a qualified medical professional.
- The invoices of the prescription drugs.
- Passport and VISA Xerox copies.
Medicines that are shipped to the USA or Canada are approved at Customs and the FDA/Health Canada. Make sure that no rules are violated.
UBT International as an overseas medicine carrier
UBT International can smoothen the entire process of shipping prescription drugs from India to the USA or Canada. There are several reasons why picking UBT International as your preferred courier service is the right choice.
UBT International is a professional and highly efficient company with a helpful staff that is available on call 24×7.
The company has tie-ups with experienced industry giants such as DHL and FedEx. These companies help deliver items quickly and safely.
Customers can also track their shipments using only their order numbers. Notifications can be received via SMS or email.
The company adheres to a three-step process of screening and offers free pickup and delivery to more than 150 destinations around the world.
Shipping prescription drugs to USA or Canada is now easy
There are multiple guidelines that restrict the influx of medicines in the USA and Canada but there are of course some flexibility in case of emergencies. Keep in mind that:
- The medicines are meant only for personal use.
- The medicines do not exceed in quantity (more than 3 months).
- The medicines should not be marketed or promoted to locals.
- That all documents are complete and stick to the guidelines.
- That no Customs rules are violated during the shipment.